CFHI Virtual Global Health Practicum
The CFHI Virtual Global Health Practicum is a structured, supervised, and evaluated professional experience for Master's and Professional level students to apply their relevant skills, knowledge, and values in a real-world setting.
The virtual practicum is a meaningful learning experience for the student for the entire duration of the project and must address at least three (3) of the Global Health Education Competencies. CFHI identifies appropriate projects for applicants based on the needs and interests of our global partners. CFHI utilizes an Asset-Based Community Development approach, so all practicum projects are locally-led and building on existing strengths and resources, prioritizing sustainability and best practices for ethical engagement.
In addition to developing and sharpening global health capacities, trainees will build skills needed to effectively work across intercultural teams, as they will play a key role in keeping project timelines moving and ensure milestones and deliverables are met.
CFHI is currently offering practica focused in the following countries, and new sites may be added:
If you are interested in a practicum, please submit your application on this page and send your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. A CFHI team member will follow up to schedule an interview.
A CFHI preceptor will work directly with the student on all aspects of the practicum throughout the project lifecycle. S/he will serve as a mentor for high standards in professional and ethical behavior to enable a meaningful learning experience for the student for the entire duration of the 200-hour project.
The preceptor will meet with trainees through regularly scheduled virtual meetings (either phone call or video meeting) throughout the duration of the practicum to provide timely, constructive feedback. Additionally, the preceptor is responsible for completing a formal evaluation of the student’s performance upon completion of the practicum.
The CFHI virtual practicum experience is open to graduate-level and professional students studying public health, global health, medicine, pharmacy, nursing, healthcare management, or other related fields. All candidates will be expected to submit a CV, cover letter and conduct a brief interview to help determine which practicum options are a best fit.
Virtual practicum topics are locally-led and will vary according to priorities and initiatives identified by CFHI's global partners. Depending on timing and location, potential topics can range from sustainable food security to adolescent pregnancy prevention to neglected tropical diseases. Potentially relevant experience and transferable skill sets include:
- Background in NGO/nonprofit with health focus; thematic areas
- Research and data analysis; monitoring and evaluation
- Health education/capacity building training
- Statistical coursework/training and/or experience analyzing and managing quantitative data sets
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) background
- Flexibility, positivity, ability to work independently
- Comfort with using virtual/digital tools and openness to using platforms like WhatsApp, Skype, Zoom, cloud-based software
- In Latin American sites, high-level Spanish language competency is often required
CFHI is an industry-setting leader in our socially-responsible approach that prioritizes reciprocal partnerships and locally-led health initiatives. Our global partnerships with clinical and public/community health sites are established and reliable, and CFHI offers the expertise needed to administer global health programs to match academic needs.
Depending on the priorities of our partners and the skillsets of the practicum-seeker, activities might include:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of quality improvement projects
- Contribute to the design of global health education programs/curricula (written, spoken, etc.)
- Provide support, guidance and/or assistance in fundraising appeal and/or grant writing for partner organizations and institutions
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and summarize data
- Develop data visualization or infographics
- Conduct cost-effectiveness, cost-benefit, and cost utility analyses
- Under the direction of our global partners, contribute to the measuring, reporting, and continuous improvement of programs or organizations
- Launch social media or advocacy campaign