Faculty Development Workshop: Integrating Experiential Learning into Undergraduate Global and Public Health Programs & Courses
Note: To apply to this program, complete your application by choosing the "Apply Now" option to the right of this page and follow these instuctions. Although we have closed our application process, we will consider applications under special circumstances.
Faculty and administrators often aspire to incorporate experiential learning (where students are learning in a community-based or other 'real world' setting) into Global Health and Public Health courses and programs. The integration requires knowledge of theories, practices, frameworks, and collaborations that often go beyond our expertise in academic subject manner. This Faculty Development Workshop allows for faculty and their administrative team members to gain essential 'how-to's' of integrating experiential learning experiences into coursework and programs. This includes a broad set of topics including: logistical, financial, ethical, safety, assessment/evaluation, competency-based education and more.
The Workshop is a collaboration of the Interamerican Center for Global Health, American Association of Colleges and Universities, Consortium of Universities for Global Health, Allegheny College, UCSF, Working Group on Global Activities of Students at Pre-Health Levels, Child Family Health International, and others. As such, the Workshop draws on leaders in Global Health Education, International Education, Higher Education, Community Engagement, and Experiential Learning.
- Who?: This Workshop is appropriate for faculty and administrative teams who have interest in integrating experiential learning (including service-learning, volunteering, study abroad, internships, and transformative learning) into Global Health and Public Health courses andprograms.
- What?: A workshop including best practices, case studies, demonstrations, curriculum tools, checklists, peer sharing, and critical discussion.
- When?: The Workshop takes place from January 4-11, 2020. January 4 and January 11 are reserved for travel days.
- Where?: The Workshop takes place in Brunca, Costa Rica, located in southeastern Costa Rica. Participants can fly into San Jose, Costa Rica and either take a bus or in-country flight to Brunca.
- Why?: Experiential learning is seen to be an important component of undergraduate Public Health and Global Health education programs. Institutions are often challenged with limited bandwidth, expertise, or partnerships to meet student demand. This Workshop allows faculty and administrators to develop experiential learning components to on-campus programs, with a focus on international and global community-based education.
- How?: Applications from faculty and/or administrators, DEADLINE EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 23. The tuition cost is $2500 USD (this includes all meals, accomodations, electronic/hard copy materials, didactics, community-based tours/interactions, transfers/transport during program content, medical/evacuation insurance, pre-departure preparation). The tuition does not include flight/transporation to location, visas, or immunization.
- Want to Apply? Application instructions are here: https://www.cfhi.org/faculty-development-application-instructions-2020 Although we have closed our application process, we will consider applications under special circumstances.