Faculty Development Workshop: Integrating Experiential Learning into Global and Public Health Programs & Courses
Faculty and administrators often aspire to incorporate experiential learning (where students are learning in a community-based or other 'real world' setting) into Global Health and Public Health courses and programs. The integration requires knowledge of theories, practices, frameworks, and collaborations that often go beyond our expertise in academic subject manner. This Faculty Development Workshop allows for faculty and their administrative team members to gain essential 'how-to's' of integrating experiential learning experiences into coursework and programs. This includes a broad set of topics including: logistical, financial, ethical, safety, assessment/evaluation, competency-based education and more. Given the COVID-19 effects on global mobility, the workshop will include the emerging theories and practices around virtual internships, practica, service-learning, electives, and other forms of distance global engagement.
The Workshop is a collaboration of the Interamerican Center for Global Health (CISG), American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U), Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH), Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health (ASPPH), Allegheny College, Working Group on Global Activities of Students at Pre-Health Levels (GASP), Child Family Health International (CFHI), and others. As such the Workshop draws on leaders in Global Health Education, International Education, Higher Education, Community Engagement, and Experiential Learning.
- Who? This Workshop is appropriate for faculty and administrative teams who have interest in integrating experiential learning (including service-learning, volunteering, study abroad, internships, and transformative learning) into Global Health and Public Health courses and programs.
- What? A workshop including best practices, case studies, demonstrations, curriculum tools, checklists, peer sharing, and critical discussion. Workshop fee: $2650 (subject to change due to local realities). A 20% discount can be applied towards each member registering from an institutional team of 3 or more. .
- The Workshop takes place from January 2 to 8, 2024.
- Where? San Vito, Costa Rica
- Why? Experiential learning is seen to be an important component of Public Health and Global Health education programs. Institutions are often challenged with limited bandwidth, expertise, or partnerships to meet student demand. This Workshop allows faculty and administrators to develop experiential learning components to on-campus programs, with a focus on international and global community-based education.
- How? Apply using the "apply now" button found on the right-hand side of this webpage. Follow the prompts to complete your application and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Application deadline: September 1, 2023